Next Mr X applied for an arts bursary in his home town of Milton Keynes. He was shortlisted and given an exhibition. He stitched Whitby Abbey and entered into a competition at a county show (he was on TV with Kristy Allsop who entered the same show).
He has curated exhibitions at the Knitting and Stitching Shows and is one of a number of 'manbroiderers'.
Mr X keeps busy; at the moment he is stitching a black cat with black thread on black fabric! He runs mrxstitch and has a shop on Etsy. He does talks and workshops and has a residency at a shop called 'Drink, Shop, Do!'
Mr X showed us the work of many embroiderers who are pushing the boundaries of textile art. He has a book 'Push Stitchery', which features 30 of them. We were shown many examples including Glow in the Dark stitching, stitching on paper, on photos and even on cars. then not stitching on motorbikes but a stitched motor bike!
|harriet-hammel image from http://www.mrxstitch.com|
|Lord Libidan's transformer image from http://www.mrxstitch.com|
|Mr X signing copies of his book|
The 'green' raffle was won by Mr X who graciously handed it over.
|This months raffle bag was Green|
Notes from the meeting:
Cocomad Saturday 5th July Cotteridge Park 'Festival of the Forest'
We will be having a stall on the day and would like to ask for help if you can as follows:
- Next month we will have a rota for helpers on the day please sign up if you are able - we will need help selling and stitching with visitors.
- We are going to have a bit of a Christmas element to some of the things we are selling so we are asking members to make a Christmas card or Christmas Coasters/decorations. If you can help, we have blank cards or coasters and frames - they will be available at the next branch meeting. We are not asking for cards generally as we have quite a few left from last time.
- We also want individual small items to sell, perhaps a framed picture, even better if it on the event theme but not essential.
N.B. We aim to sell things for £5 or less so please do not give anything you are not happy at being sold at this price.
Any questions please ask Bernadette, Angela, Jayne or Merial.
Members Meeting 12 May
We are going to be hand sewing doodled leaf motifs
We will provide plain fabric to stitch on. Please bring with you:
- Your usual sewing kit and some embroidery threads and perhaps some beads that would go together.
- If you can also bring a small hoop and an erasable pen or a pencil
- Finally please bring an A5 piece of backing - Vilene or felt