They hold their meetings at St Mary's Church Centre, St Mary's Road, Leamington Spa CV31 1JW.
Talks are 7.15pm - 9.00pmadmission 4.00 (no need to book a place)
Workshops 10.00am - 4.00pmfee £25.00
Please see below for a brief description of the talk and workshop.
If any members are interested, could you please email: firstname.lastname@example.org, and I (Heather) will pass your details on to Jenny Archer, the workshop secretary for EG Leamington & District Branch
Friday 7th June – talkVal Hughes The Anne Boleyn Collection
A welcome return from the felt maker Val Hughes who entertained us on her last visit with her ‘Water, Snow and Ice’ collection of wonderful wearable art. This time, at members’ request, Val is bringing her Anne Boleyn collection and will tell us the story behind its conception. This collection of costume/wearable art is inspired by the mysterious and enigmatic figure of Anne Boleyn. It currently consists of ten pieces which utilise mixed media, felt making and free machine embroidery techniques. The lecture covers the theoretical and practical side of its creation.
Saturday 8th June – workshopVal Hughes Nuno Felting
Learn how to apply merino wool tops to an open weave cloth, silk chiffon, synthetic chiffon, cotton scrim and muslim. Explore different layout techniques and multiple ways to create different textures.
The day is intended as a taster/sampling session, however, Val can easily accommodate those with more experience.
It is hoped you will go away with a broad knowledge of techniques and be inspired to develop your work further.
Val plans to begin the day showing samples of some of her nuno felt including single layer, double layer and incorporation of felts etc.
The day will then be spent sampling including techniques from the above as well as colour, textures and layouts.
Following our sampling, a brief 'show and tell' session will take place, so that participants can share knowledge, experiences, ideas and outcomes with each other.
- Merino wool tops, at least 100g
- Cotton scrim, muslin, silk chiffon, synthetic chiffon or a mixture (enough for sampling) Each cloth gives a different effect.
- Threads, lace, ribbons, knitting wools, anything you might like to try to incorporate in your work.
- Spray bottle for water.
- Olive oil soap or a mild washing up liquid
- A rolling pin or a piece of dowel rod.
- Bubble wrap (bubbles must be evident and not under a layer of plastic) - Alternatively, a cane mat, bamboo mat or beach mat at least 18 inches x 12 inches
- Old piece of net curtain, enough to cover your bubble wrap or cane mat.
- Two old towels.
- Note book, pencil/pen.